Ref : ESF-8309
Posting date : 30/03/2018
Deadline for application : 30/04/2018
Employer : Mines de Saint-Etienne - Ecole de IMT
Contract : Tenure position
Location : GARDANNE,
Salary : N/A
The École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Etienne (EMSE), École de l’Institut Mines Télécom, under the supervision of the Ministry of the Economy, Industry and Digital Technology, is assigned missions of education, research and innovation, transfer to industry and scientific, technical and industrial culture.
The EMSE consists of 1,800 engineering and research students, 420 staff members, a consolidated budget of €50M, three sites on the Saint-Etienne campus (Loire Department), a campus in Gardanne (Bouches-du-Rhône Department), five educational training and research centres, seven research laboratories, a scientific, technical and industrial cultural centre (La Rotonde) and development projects in France and abroad.
The Microelectronics Center of Provence (CMP) is one of the 5 centers of Mines Saint-Etienne. Located in Gardanne (13), its mission is to develop new microelectronic technologies for different fields of application of IoT: materials, health, cybersecurity and industrial engineering, each of them being supported by a research department. The CMP has several laboratories and a 600 m2 clean room that houses the Micro-PackS technology platform. The CMP carries out numerous contract research projects with global or local industrial partners.
The Bioelectronics Department (BEL) is one of 4 teaching and research departments of the CMP. BEL develops interfaces between microelectronics and life sciences and conducts cutting-edge research on the use of new organic materials for electronics for the field of neuroscience, cancer, biomedical engineering, bioelectronic textiles, and diagnostics. BEL has electrical characterization and biological laboratories, including equipment for cell culture, fluorescent microscopy and electrophysiology. The CMP's clean room also provides BEL researchers with equipment for micro-fabrication of electrodes. The BEL department is currently composed of 2 permanent professor-researchers and 12 non-permanent staff (doctoral students, post-docs, research engineers, visitors). It works closely with Aix-Marseille University, in particular with the University Hospital and Institute of Neuroscience of La Timone (INT) and Institute of Systems Neuroscience (INS INSERM) Marseille and beyond, with numerous academic and industrial partners worldwide.
The CMP is recruiting an Assistant Professor in Bioelectronics for the BEL department in the field of bioengineering, neuroengineering or related subjects in bioelectronic/biomedical engineering for neuroscience.
The teaching mission consists of undertaking both supervised and practical courses, along with the tutoring of projects and internships/work experiences, essentially in the teaching of the ISMIN diploma.
The candidate should be capable of covering a relatively large spectrum of teaching in bioelectronics, neuroscience, biomedical sciences, and subjects fundamental to these domains. The teaching assignments could also involve other training programmes at the level of Masters of Science, doctoral studies, professional and vocational training.
The successful candidate will be actively involved with the teaching teams in charge of the training courses cited above. The design of new activities and the development of innovative teaching methods, in particular related to digital technology, will be an integral component of the teaching mission.
The candidate should be able to carry out the teaching assignments and possibly MOOCs in English.
A minimum number of hours must be completed. Activity design, supervision and course management are included in the expected teaching activities.
In relation to the research theme of Bioelectronics the following tasks will be allocated to the candidate in the BEL research laboratory:
- Develop new technologies for diagnostics and neuroscience based on cell cultures, make devices and instrumentation for acquiring biological data in partnership with members of BEL, CHU/INT de la Timone and INSERM Marseille, make use of electronic organic microelectrodes developed in the department;
- Respond to national or international calls for projects and set up collaborative projects to finance the activities of its research group in the field of bioelectronics;
- Participate in the international development of the BEL department within the CMP by organizing conferences and workshops, publishing in leading journals and being involved in the scientific community (editorial, scientific or advisory committees);
- Supervise PhD students, post-docs or masters research projects.
These assignments will be carried out on the G. Charpak Provence/Saint-Etienne (42) EMSE campus and at Gardanne (13).
The candidate should hold a doctorate in Bioelectronics, Neuroscience, Materials Science or equivalent domains (CNU sections 69, 65, 28, 63). Significant experience of teaching in the aforementioned fields (teaching instructor, contract teacher and/or ATER status (temporary teaching and research assistant status)) at under-graduate or post-graduate levels will be appreciated.
The successful candidate will contribute to the research theme of bioelectronics, bioengineering, neuroengineering in the department. They should have a demonstrated record of research excellence, as testified by a list of publications in top journals, presentations at international conferences, honors/awards, etc.
Command of the English language is essential. Given the School’s international development projects, significant international experience is strongly recommended. Failing this, a period of international mobility with a foreign partner institution should be envisaged during the three years following recruitment.
The main candidate assessment criteria are as follows (non-exhaustive list):
- Significant teaching experience (development of online courses, reference works…) in the previously mentioned fields, at under-graduate or post-graduate level, will be appreciated, along with development of new teaching methods.
- Capacity to reinforce the research theme of Bioelectronics at the CMP
- Capacity to successfully integrate into the department’s projects, the centre and the research laboratory
- Production of scientific articles: quality and number of publications in A-ranked scientific journals according to HCERES (Council for Evaluation of Research and Higher Education) criteria.
- Partnership-based research: direct industrial partnerships, collaborative research, support to start-ups …
- International partnerships and network
- Good command of the English language, significant international experience
- Other skills desired include an aptitude for team work, personnel and project management
- Capacity to obtain the Accreditation to Supervise Research qualification (Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches) in the five to seven years following the candidate’s recruitment
By application of the specific status of teaching staff of the Mines Telecom institute (modified decree n° 2007-468 of the 28th March 2007), candidates should hold a doctorate diploma or a similar recognized qualification level, equivalent to the required national diplomas.
In addition, candidates should have European Union citizen status as of the day of the application submission (law 83-634 of the 13th July 1983 referring to the rights and obligations of public employees; Art. 5 and 5 bis).
Required date for taking up the position: October 1st 2018
The application file should include:
- An application cover letter
- A curriculum vitae outlining teaching activities, research work and where appropriate, relations with economic and industrial sectors (maximum 10 pages)
- Recommendation letters, at the discretion of the candidate,
- A copy of the Doctorate diploma (or PhD),
- A copy of an identity document
These documents should be addressed for the attention of the Director of the École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne, at the latest by April 30th 2018, date as per postmark, and sent to:
École nationale supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne
For the attention of Madame Elodie EXBRAYAT
Department of Personnel and Human Resources
158, Cours Fauriel
42023 Saint-Étienne cedex 2
Candidates selected for an interview will be informed rapidly. Part of the interview will be held in English. Cover letters, CVs and application files written in English will be accepted, but applicants will have to demonstrate in their application file their ability to efficiently communicate in French with students, fellow faculty members and the school administration. For those invited to be interviewed, the same will be expected in oral form and tested by the selection committee.
For further information concerning the post, contact:
Philippe LALEVÉE, Director of the CMP (email@example.com, +33 0442616715)
Rodney O’CONNOR, Head Department of Bioelectronics (firstname.lastname@example.org, +33 0442616878)
For further administrative information, contact:
Tel + 33 (0)4 77 42 00 81
Further information : click on here
Thank you for quoting the Association Bernard Gregory and the ABG job reference when applying